Re: Spent Sunday in the garden

Re >  I think I may have
> lost one of my clumps of perennial grasses, but I thought that last year
> too and it surprised me, so we'll see.

I go through those worries each spring.  I bought 2 species shade peonies
last year.  The P. obovata from Seneca Hill was robust and had a few blooms
after planting last spring.  The P. japonica from PDN was a slight little
nothing that shriveled and disappeared.  But this spring the japonica is up
already and has a flower bud while the obovata is still snuggled under the
mulch.  both are very much alive and I'm thrilled.

My Pulmonaria 'David Ward' became quite robust last year, but I found the
center had died out this spring.  Meanwhile the newest one. P. 'Raspberry
Splash' looks like it didn't even take a nap this winter.  It is big  and
bold, seemingly still with last years leaves still looking great and
blooming to beat the band!

And then there's Geranium 'Rozanne'.  I heard how strong she was and finally
got one last fall.  In February I checked and she seemed fine, but last week
she seemed to have disappeared.  Today I found some new leaves.

My toadlilies were up already, but last night's bitter cold browned them,
I'm sure they'll rebound though.

Lastly, Verbena 'Homestead Purple' is not hardy here, but it is so prolific
it is worth growing as an annual.  It was still blooming late last fall, so
I left it in for spring cleanup.  However, I noticed a few stems still had
some green so I just left them a bit longer.  What do you know - I think I
see the beginnings of new leaves!

So there are always worries...and surprises!