Re: Lots of questions...need help re lilies & peoniesespecially...

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Lots of questions...need help re lilies & peoniesespecially...
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 01:31:12 -0400

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> Marge, this is why I prefer the single flowers with thick stems -
no faces
> in the grass.
----------

Yeah, yeah, Kitty, I know,  but half the joy of peonies is the huge
blowzy double scrumptious simply drop dead gorgeous big fat
flowers:-)  Absolutely nothing equals a vase full of those for
pulchritudinous magnificence.  I have a couple who, in addition to
being all the above are very sweetly scented.  Always try to get at
least a couple in a vase on the stand next to my bed.

I have one single and it, too gets whacked by our storms.  Now, IF,
of course, I ever managed to get my rear out there and get the stakes
and string in BEFORE the plants bloomed, I could at least keep the
flowers off the ground.  I've made that goal maybe twice in 20 odd
years.  It's one of those things...I pass the peonies; say...gotta
get those stakes in...well, they're not that big; got a bit of time
and before I know it that window has closed yet again.  One of the
lessons this gardener simply cannot learn, it seems.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi