Re: Hofstra Flower show

In a message dated 04/07/2004 8:32:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
EvaTEsq@aol.com writes:

> Unfortunately, Eva arrived as I was leaving!  I've been helping to care
> for my mother-in-law for the past few weeks.  She's back in the hospital
> now and I had to do the evening shift.  I've invited Eva to our next
> daylily meeting.  Maybe I'll catch up with her there!  I did take a good
> look at the Flower Show that Auralie judged. The quality of the
> arrangements was excellent in my opinion.  Some of the arrangements were
> huge!  Quite impressive!  I'm never as impressed with the horticulture
> specimens, but there were some nice collections as well as beautifully
> grown plants.  It was an impressive flower show.
> What did you think Auralie?

Chris and Eva, As a judge I found the show  interesting but uneven.  But then
that is usually the case with a District show - you get all levels of
participation.  As for the horticulture - yes, it was quite uneven.  There were some
most interesting collections, and some very disappointing areas.  I was told
by an involved person that the weather had been so bad they expected to have
very little, so they "beat the bushes" and called everyone to bring in whatever
they had.  The troops rallied round and brought in more than had been
anticipated but not all of top quality.  I've done that myself - put in things that I
knew weren't top quality just to fill a class.
The designs were generally good, but again uneven in quality, but that's
what you expect in a District show. Some were very good.  I have judged District
II shows in past years that I thought were more impressive - but they were
fall shows and not part of this Hofstra total situation.  A show this early in
the season is really a strain on everybody, especially growers.
I'm sorry I was not able to make a contact with you ladies.  We left right
from the judging - didn't even go to the judges' lunch.  We knew we had to get
across Staten Island to the Jersey Turnpike as early as possible.  The traffic
was fierce, as expected.  We got a yogurt on the Turnpike, telling ourselves
we would have a good dinner in Dover, which we did.  The stop at Bombay Hook
and the week in Chincoteague were a welcome break  after a  very hectic winter
and before another hectic season.  Just got back this evening to find the
cat-sitter had neglected to water any of my plants - I know that's not cat-sitting,
but she's  a MG and usually does that for me - and several things were
seriously stressed.  I don't think I have actually lost anything, but  it was a near
thing with several.