Re: Huntsville Botanical Garden

Zem, in 1950 I, as a very young newly-minted librarian, interviewed for a job
at the Redstone Arsenal.  I had flown up (on a DC-3) from Dothan, Alabama -
my first commercial airplane flight (I had flown previously with a boyfriend
who had a private plane.)  I remember spending the night in the local hotel, and
being told at dinner in the hotel dining room that Huntsville was the
watercress center of the country.  The watercress salad was exceptional.  I was
offered the job, but declined it for one at the Pensacola Naval Air Station that
may not have been so interesting, but my DH's mother lived in Pensacola and I
thought I had a better chance of seeing him on summer vacations (he was a
student at Princeton).  Obviously, my ploy worked.  We were married in 1952.  But I
have often wondered what might have happened if I had taken that job. Werner
Von Braun was involved in the interview (anybody else old enough to remember
him?) I didn't know about the Botanical Gardens then, if they even existed.  If
I had been shown that, I might have chosen Huntsville over Pensacola because
plants and growing things  were already an obsession.
Thanks for reminding me of that interlude.