From: cathy carpenter [mailto: cathyc@rnet.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:39:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] shade/bog  gardening

Melody, I have a wet area in full sun and have been amazed at the
expert <br>on wet shade, but would be happy to research some plants for
about bogs - Marge or others will reply on that.<br>> When you say the
area floods, how long does the water stand? I had a<br>> problem like
that, with no place to run the water to. So instead of a <br>> bog,<br>>
I dug a drywell - actually 2 of them, one at each back corner of the
One is filled <br>> with<br>> broken pots and rebar, the other with a
coiled, flexible drainage hose.<br>> These handle the water until it can
be dispersed by natural drainage.<br>><br>> I'm curious - how do lilacs
Original Message -----<br>> From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com><br>>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>> Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 4:06 AM<br>>
help for a friend's yard...It is his mother's house<br>>> which now that
she has retired and moved south, he has<br>>> "inherited"...with one
giant problem...Mom was a huge gardener and he <br>>> is<br>>> not. So
now he is faced with the upkeep of an extensive shade garden<br>>>
collection that he neither knows nor really cares about, but to keep
to do <br>>> something<br>>> with it while simplifying the work. She was
really into hostas in a <br>>> big<br>>> way and they are everywhere.
Also tons and tons of lily of the valley<br>>> that are spreading like
wildfire, even where he doesn't want them<br>>> (Kitty...who knew?
Sorry!) So, I've agreed to help him revamp all of<br>>> those things,
but our biggest problem proves to be one of <br>>> drainage...he<br>>>
has

an area in his yard to which he runs a drainage pipe for rainwater<br>>>
from his roof that in heavy rains, runs across his yard and floods
his<br>>> neighbors yard in the corner where the two meet...It's a
heavily <br>>> shaded<br>>> area that contains mostly a beautiful
collection of lilac trees, a few<br>>> hosta and lily of the
valley...would the creation of a boggy area <br>>> there<br>>> with
cinder block and plastic liner a) be enough to contain the water <br>>>
so<br>>> it doesn't flood the neighbors and b) be damaging to the lilacs
in any<br>>> way? Also, what would one put in a boggy area like
beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."<br>>> --Albert
Einstein<br>>><br>>>
http://www.excite.com<br>>> The most personalized portal on the
Web!<br>>><br>>>
Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>>>
http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>><br>>

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com