From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan [mailto: wmorgan972@ameritech.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 07:38:56 -0400
Subject: [CHAT] Family Peonies

Well, I finally got back over to Indy to work on mom's house again. I
only<br>dug out one of the mature peonies and their roots took 3 very
large pots!<br>(Some have buds on them now. Should I cut the buds off?)
In any case, I<br>put them in some good potting soil in the pots and
topped them with shredded<br>mulch for their journey to Ohio. When we
pulled the pots out of the trunk<br>at 11:30p.m. last night, not one had
any signs of wilting. This a.m. we<br>just had a downpour that soaked
everything. Now if I can just get a couple<br>hours of dry time before
the next rain so I can get them into the ground<br>here.... (I'll have
to do major soil amendments, though. They were spoiled<br>by the soil
dad had built up!)<br><br>I was so afraid I'd not be able to get any of
the roots out at all,<br>considering the soil in Indiana is very similar
to Ohio's. However, I<br>forgot that daddy had lovingly tended the
peonies for decades even though<br>he's been dead 4 years now. Silly me.
The soil was deep black and very<br>friable more than a foot down. You
should have seen the worms! They were<br>huge and plentiful. There was
no great struggle at all. I should have<br>gotten all his garden secrets
before his last stoke. <br><br>Another discovery is that the peonies had
spread outside the fence! What is<br>outside the fence can't be more
than 4-5 years old. Next trip, I'm going to<br>try to lift some of them.
They won't last long in the ditch when new owners<br>want to mow

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com