apple tree

Can anyone on the list tell me if there is any hope for this
situation...several years ago during a horrific storm our very old apple
tree was completely decimated...ruined beyond saving with a trunk split
to the ground. We have left what is left of the trunk to rot and remove
pieces of the trunk as they do so. Over the past couple of years, the
trunk has sprouted and grown new branches, which because of the
proximity to the dog yard, we have left as they are tall enough now to
provide a decent amount of shade for the dogs. Well, yesterday...the
darn thing bloomed! Not just one or two blooms, but bunches of them. Is
it possible for this tree to fruit again in this condition? We had only
moved into the house a few months before the storm and I never got so
much as one apple off that tree before it was destroyed...what do you
guys think?

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com