To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 10:55 AM
Subject: [CHAT] water woes

First - one thing did work. My back outdoor spigot was stuck in "on"
position last fall. Shut off normally closes the water off back inside
beyond the insulation so it doesn't freeze the spigot over winter. Since I
couldn't get it fixed I capped it off, put an insulator over it, then
stuffed a rose cone with insulation and fastened that over it. Worked
great!

This weekend I was watering pots and my old waterwand began leaking a lot
worse than usual - I was soaked. Time for a new one. I got one at Lowe's
with a funky dial shut off I didn't like $9, it leaked. Took it back this
am. Tried Miejers and Menards. They only carry wands with fused heads. I
need a plain wand so I can put my superduper Charley's Ultra Soft nozzle
with hundreds of small, fine watering holes on it. Regular spray heads are
too harsh for transplants and newly potted plants. The fused heads with 20
different sprays are a hassle and none of the sprays perform as well as
Charley's. Last try was Home Depot. They had my plain wand with a nice
brass lever shut off for under $6 - and it doesn't leak. It only came in
black - my old one was an easy to see metallic magenta - but, oh well, it
works.

It's funny how you get attached to something simple that works well. You go
to replace it and all you can find are "new and improved", but built on the
cheap. BTW, I also have a wonderful little spray nozzle that has just 2
choices - a regular spray and a mist. The mist is really nice for very
tender items and seedlings and such. But for general use the Charley's
ultra Soft has proven to be the best for me.