Re: Herbivore fertilizers....Spring blossoms, etc.

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Herbivore fertilizers....Spring blossoms, etc.
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:24:03 -0600

> Any tips on growing magnolia trees?
Bonnie,
years ago I planted a Magnolia x loebneri 'Leonard Messel' in a bed of ivy,
surrounded by lilacs, Syringa vulgaris.  Later I read that Magnolias like
acid soil and lilacs like alkaline.  Everybody in that bed seems pretty
happy though.
In Botanica, it says: Magnolias require deep, fertile, well-drained soil.
Some species require alkaline soil, while others prefer a mildly acid,
humus-rich soil. (it doesn't say which want what) The roots are fragile, so
the plants do not transplant readily.  They thrive in sun or part shade, but
need protection from strong, salty winds.  The flower buds are frost
sensitive.

Kitty