Bird question

Any hard-core birders in this group?  We are only moderately expert,
but enjoy the birds.  We have always had Mallards on our small pond
in the spring.  We know from guides that Mallards are "dabbling ducks"
as opposed to "diving ducks," and that has been our observation for
many years.  This year's Mallards are diving!  First I saw the female
go under for several seconds.  Since Mallards are notorious philanderers,
I thought perhaps he had seduced a hen from some other species, but
then I saw him diving.  I  watched closely with my binoculars, and both
are classic Mallards, and both of them are diving.  What's going on?
Auralie