Wildlife weekend & wireless

About 10 this morning, while we were taking an iced tea break from re-potting stuff, we noticed two large anole males having some sort of territorial squabble over dominance of the rims of two 14-inch clay pots. Anoles are mute, so no sound was involved. But they stood face to face with back fins raised [kinda like cats with bushy tails]. Then they suddenly had at each other. But since anoles don't have teeth, they only gummed each other.

Ms Fatma, the pragmatist, finally turned the hose on them to break it up.

Shortly after the anole gladiator hosing, we saw a big rat snake slithering through the upper limbs of the starfruit tree and slowly down to the lower limbs of one of the mangos that is the next tree over. It was quite windy and the snake, out on a limb so to speak, was blown about--but it managed to bide its time in moving from one branch--and eventually, one tree--to another. I was fascinated with its patience in dealing with the swaying limbs and such.

Then we went to our local oyster bar for late lunch, early dinner. And while chatting about what would make life infinitely better, we decided outdoor speakers--you know, the sunday broadcast of the Metropolitan Opera while pulling weeds--would make life much more Irenic.

When we came home, I figured out how to get our local PBS station to broadcast through my computer. Now, I need to figure out how to send that signal to an outdoor wireless speaker [or three]. Donna? Are you paying attention?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10