Re: ok- this is just unbelievable

Melody, the Donald Stokes book on Bird Behavior says that
doves sometimes (rarely) nest on the ground.  Ground-nesters
are common among shore birds and in arctic areas - not too
many trees in those locations. Certain other birds, notably
Quail and Northern Harriers regularly nest on the ground in
open fields.  Just like people, you can't make generalizations
about birds.