bird rescue - brave or dumb?

Well don't know if I'm fearless or just stupid, but a fledgling blue
jay got caught in my chain link fence yesterday evening.  The parents
ran Sugar off (believe it or not) w/ their screeching and swooping.
This is that huge pair I have here, the fledgling was nearly the size
of a robin.  But this poor bird was struggling to get free and making
the most pitiful sound, halfway between a chirp and a bleat.  I just
couldn't stand it.  So I put my hose down, got my gloves and went over
to help it out of the fence.  Fortunately all my glasses are safety
glasses and the bandana protects the top half of my face anyway.  So I
went over and helped him wiggle out.  They divebombed but didn't peck
me to death I'm pleased to say.  He's not very old yet because he
isn't flying real well.  So that was reasonably successful.  Of course
I got swatted later trying to get a cocklebur off of Sugar's head, so
didn't make it through the night totally unscathed.  C'est la vie.

--
Pam Evans
Kemp TX