RE: Celebrate!/ now spring in Sacramento

Hear hear! I feel like it's been cloudy for MONTHS. Of course we in the high
desert haven't had the same kind of rain but it is still wet here, it rained
again Saturday morning and it is supposed to be cloudy and rainy for the
next 3 days. I don't know how you easterners can handle it. Blech!
At least we got a couple hours of sun over the weekend and it wasn't too
windy. I planted a couple of the natives - one saltbush and one mesquite -
but didn't put in the rest. I ran out of chicken wire to protect them from
the critters and we didn't make it to the hardware store until late Sunday
afternoon. I weeded some more in the dry garden and deadheaded the
daffodils, that took a bit of time. And I planted some of the bulbine that
Kitty gave me in the dry garden, we'll see how that does over the summer. I
saw it growing at Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden last year so we'll see
what happens.
I was gazing at a blank area in the cottage garden and debating about what I
would buy to fill the spot, but then I was also looking at overgrown daylily
clumps and frugality kicked in. So I dug up and separated a couple of those.
Now that I think about it I'm not sure I've seen those bloom in some time,
don't remember what colors are out there. Husband dispatched a couple more
gophers.
I went to the Getty museum in Malibu on Friday - it was cloudy of course -
and I didn't recognize anything except the gardens! They sure did a major
renovation of the property. I saw an interesting plant in their herb garden
that someone told me was lamb's ear, but it didn't look anything like the
kind I'm familiar with. I'll have to do some research.
I went hiking Sunday morning and my friend, who's getting in shape for a
long hike later this summer, about killed me off. When I got home I just
took my newspaper and sat in the greenhouse for a couple hours. Oh my achin'
legs.
I am so jealous of Theresa's zauschneria, I have killed a couple of those. I
had great hopes for the one growing in the dry garden, it did very nicely
over the summer, but it doesn't seem to have survived the winter. Maybe I'll
try it again.

Cyndi