To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 9:06 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] For those with cellphones

Honestly, I don't think it's the cell phones you should be hating, but the
jerks like the driver you described who abuse the priveledge. I have a cell,
and couldn't do without it.. My parents and several of my dearest friends
hundreds of miles away. My cell has free long distance so we can keep in
touch without having to worry about the bill. I also like the safety.
Cordless phones become paperweights in a power failure. During the huge
blackout a few years ago my cell was my lifeline. I like having help be only
a call away when I am out and about by myself.
Living in New York City that security is important.. My fiance appreciates
knowing he can get in touch with me at anytime also. He works graveyard and
that means I am alone in the house all night and he worries sometimes.

However, like you I hate the idiots that abuse them. It is against the law
to drive while talking on a cell here, unless you have a handsfree set up.
Yet people do it all the time. In fact the Sunday paper had a big front page
write up about the problem with pics of a half dozen drivers with cell
phones glued to their ears. Would have loved to have seen their reactions
when they opened the paper that morning! I don't drive, so I do a lot of
walking. Can't tell you how many times I've nearly gotten run over by some
jerk who was so busy yakking on his cell that he didn't notice the light was
RED and someone was in the CROSSWALK crossing the street.. Second to that
are the jerks who make a turn right in front of someone who is crossing the
street, instead of waiting for them to finish crossing the street first.
Again, too busy yakking into their phones. I

I have a Nextel (the phones with the walkie talkie in them) and I also hate
the morons who use it with the speaker up full blast.. It's usually kids, at
least around here. I never use mine, I turn my ringer off when I am in a
resturaunt, church, the movies, etc, and I don't walk around with it glued
to my ear.

Cell phones aren't the problem, the people who don't use them responsibly or
with consideration for others are.