Re: Iraq

Awesome...that's good to know.  As usual Kitty...you are a WEALTH of information!

Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:
  Jesse, those flat rate boxes are sized in the PO's favor. Don't use them for
books. Instead, send books and movies alone, with nothing else in the box
and label it Media Mail. The rate is much cheaper. It is a little slower
than regular mail or Priority Mail, however, you might ask them to write SAM
on the box. It stands for "Space Available Mail", I think, and it indicates
the box, regardless of the type of mail, should get worked in more quickly
if there is space available. So if there is room for one more Priority
package on a pallet and they don't have another piece that will fit, they'll
toss the SAM Media Mail or SAM Parcel Post package on with the Priority
Mail.

The only time I used the $7.40 PM flat rate box was when I was shipping a
battery backup to California. It weighed nearly 20 pounds and would have
cost a fortune, but it fit in the flat rate box, so I lucked out.
Otherwise, anything I've ever needed to ship in a box that size would have
always done better as straight PM. Hardcover books would probably do well
at flat rate, but then you can use Media Mail which is always cheaper.

The best rate I ever came across is the M-bag. Saved a bundle on sending a
heavy book to Canada.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5