From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Melody
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 12:59 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Just in case you heard...

This was definitely a case of we got very lucky as the multiple tornadoes
all around missed our little town by literally just a hop, skip, and a jump.
Neigbors out in the rest of the surrounding area weren't so lucky...although
for the number of actual tornadoes that were all on the ground moving around
at the same time here--thought to be in excess of 5 or more-- it is
literally a miracle that there were so few injuries and only a couple of
fatalities. We have an amazing warning system in this state and the radar
technology these days saves thousands of lives every year, I am sure. What
we initially believed in the darkness after the storm to be relatively minor
damage in Iowa City sure turned out to be a whole lot worse as dawn
came...the damage estimates to one residential area particularly hard hit is
already in the multi-millions...unfortunately it is a part of the university
town where mostly students live so those poor young kids probably lost
everything they own

without the financial resources to really replace much of it. And it is
doubtful if the landlords will rebuild...that part of town holds some of the
most valuable real estate in the entire county for upscale developers to buy
up and move in as it is centrally located to all of downtown Iowa City and
therefore the University campus. Menards and Walmart both sustained massive
damage but thank goodness no fatalities there. That area of town also is
home to many of our car dealerships and at least two of them were completely
devastated. Another area of severe damage though was along one of our major
streets...Riverside drive, just blocks from two major hospitals, both of
which were mercifully spared and less than two blocks from my children's
elementary school. But the entire county is in mourning over the loss of one
of our most beloved businesses...the Riverside Dairy Queen is completely
gone...a business that has been there for over 40 years and which
practically

everyone who lives here visits multiple times every year...it is truly one
of those places that acts as a hub of a community and we can only hope that
the owners will rebuild...what a task they and all the others in their
position have ahead of them.

It is time like these that you get to understand how truly full of blessings
life is...

BTW, for those of you of like mind: Peace to all of you on this most holy of
solemn days, Good Friday, as we wait for the passion of our Lord to end and
for the anticipation of his resurrection soon to come. May your Easter be
filled with all the blessings of our great and loving God.

For the rest of ya:  Hope the Easter bunny is good to you!!  :-)

Melody
Hills, IA  zone 5

Work for the Lord:  the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this
world!