To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 12:58 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Just in case you heard...

This was definitely a case of we got very lucky as the multiple
tornadoes all around missed our little town by literally just a hop,
skip, and a jump. Neigbors out in the rest of the surrounding area
weren't so lucky...although for the number of actual tornadoes that were
all on the ground moving around at the same time here--thought to be in
excess of 5 or more-- it is literally a miracle that there were so few
injuries and only a couple of fatalities. We have an amazing warning
system in this state and the radar technology these days saves thousands
of lives every year, I am sure. What we initially believed in the
darkness after the storm to be relatively minor damage in Iowa City sure
turned out to be a whole lot worse as dawn came...the damage estimates
to one residential area particularly hard hit is already in the
multi-millions...unfortunately it is a part of the university town where
mostly students live so those poor young kids probably lost everything
they own

without the financial resources to really replace much of it. And it is
doubtful if the landlords will rebuild...that part of town holds some of
the most valuable real estate in the entire county for upscale
developers to buy up and move in as it is centrally located to all of
downtown Iowa City and therefore the University campus. Menards and
Walmart both sustained massive damage but thank goodness no fatalities
there. That area of town also is home to many of our car dealerships and
at least two of them were completely devastated. Another area of severe
damage though was along one of our major streets...Riverside drive, just
blocks from two major hospitals, both of which were mercifully spared
and less than two blocks from my children's elementary school. But the
entire county is in mourning over the loss of one of our most beloved
businesses...the Riverside Dairy Queen is completely gone...a business
that has been there for over 40 years and which practically

everyone who lives here visits multiple times every year...it is truly
one of those places that acts as a hub of a community and we can only
hope that the owners will rebuild...what a task they and all the others
in their position have ahead of them.

It is time like these that you get to understand how truly full of blessings life is...

BTW, for those of you of like mind: Peace to all of you on this most
holy of solemn days, Good Friday, as we wait for the passion of our Lord
to end and for the anticipation of his resurrection soon to come. May
your Easter be filled with all the blessings of our great and loving
God.

For the rest of ya: Hope the Easter bunny is good to you!! :-)

Melody
Hills, IA zone 5