To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 1:01 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Help with H. americana!

Another oldie.....

Nah....hederafiolia is a fall bloomer - can start mid-late summer if
it gets enough water to wake it up.

Your MGs make me wonder if they're actually "Master" gardeners.
Leaves are fine, but they have to start coming off early March or, as
you rightly point out, they smother the early plants and it's much
better to chop them than leave them whole if time permits...and not
put them down a foot thick unless you intend to start a new bed.  I
have nothing against Impatiens - more appropriate for a woodland
garden than coleus IMO, but it appears your group is just using
whatever to extreme and neglecting all the lovely things they could
be growing if they had sense enough.  Pity.

Think, considering, you're right to just get them what they ask for
and forget it; does not sound like that group are really interested
in gardening as I understand the term.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs

----------
From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>

Mine were Cyclamen coum, purchased in 2003.  I guess I thought C.
hederafolia would also bloom in February.

As to these MGs...they tend a garden called the Woodland Fen.  They
have the
standard fare of Hostas, ferns, Hellebores, some Astilbes,
Heucheras, a
couple of Toadlilies.  Beyond that, they used to cover the whole
thing in a
layer of Impatiens, which made me cringe. Fortunately, they stopped
that
practice. Now they fill in everywhere with coleus. oh well.   Since
the
current group took this garden over several years ago, they've lost
all
their Trilliums, most of their Barrenworts, and almost all new
ephemerals I
got for them.  Why?  Their method of putting the garden to bed is
to heap
leaves over everything until you can't see anything at all.  That
in itself
might not be too bad as the winter winds do remove some of that.
However,
they don't uncover the garden until latest April, maybe May.  So
what's the
point of Cyclamen? or Trillium?  I think they've just smothered or
neglected
the early stuff becuase it doesn't perform when they are paying
attention.
Anyway, I've stopped suggesting lovely woodland plants and just get
them
what they want.