RE: tree peony

I've not seen that in mine.  Is the main trunk O.K.?  What about the foliage
from the trunk?  Does it look good?  Do you have blooms on yours yet?  (I
just saw that the one that receives the most sun has a HUGE bud on it and
the trunk is less than a foot tall.)

Since the more herbaceous peony is a tuberous creature and the tree peony is
a grafted onto herbaceous root stock, it seems plausible that if the root
multiplied like the herbaceous peonies do, then you could get both tree and
herbaceous peonies from the same root stock (see
http://www.peonies.org/grafting/)

Well, I just found a site that confirms it:
http://www.peonies.org/cgi-bin/showfaq.cgi

The original herbaceous root is only to provide sustenance to the tree peony
until the tree peony scion can send out its own shoots.

It gives instructions on how to remove the nurse root to protect your tree
peony.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,
Bonnie