Re: Bamboo

Sue, it depends on the kind of Bamboo you get.  I have one that
is not invasive -- don't know the species because I took it from an
established plant at a "Japanese house" about 35 years ago.  It
isn't one of the large ones - grows about 5 feet high, and has  spread
very little in 35 years.  A friend near here has a huge Bamboo -
30 feet tall with stems that are 3" - 4" thick - but he tells me it
doesn't spread.  He has had it for a number of years, and it is
quite well controlled.  On the other hand, my neighbor to the
rear has one that is most invasive.  It grows against the back of
my property, and I spend numerous hours each summer cutting
out the canes that grow under the fence and invade my beds. I
don't know  the species of any of these, but I do know that if you
can find the right one, it will be a satisfying plant to grow, but you
have to be careful.  I'm sure there are reputable nurseries that
can give you good information.  You will need to start with a
plant - not seed.  Good luck!

In a message dated 04/29/2006 9:25:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,