To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 12:44 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Weekend

Busy weekend. Saturday morning we hustled to HD for some potting soil and a few fibrous begonias for pots on the veranda, and ended up also buying a new back door for manse. Then headed to the farmer's market for a few vegetables--tomatoes, spring onion, summer squash--and also bought a couple of 1-gallon mints--spearmint and Jamaican spearmint--from the plant guy. We also had our eye on a nice dill plant but by the time we got around to it, it was gone. Was almost noon by the time we got home and began potting up the begonias, the mints, and the edible hibiscus [Abelmoschus manihot] that we got a few weeks ago--only to discover that we had not purchased enough potting soil the first time abound. To get the potting soil refill, we went to Lowe's [which is closer than HD]. At Lowe's, Ms Fatma was taken with a bright red fibreglas pot for the Florida room [plant and two draft choices to be named at a later date]. Once we got the pot home, we found a nice little neanthe bella [Chamaedorea elegans] clump in the back waters of the front patio for it, and transplanted the palm.

Sunday, we trimmed up the queen palm and started to clean up the Bismarckias--until the battery on the chainsaw pooped out. Have to finish that tomorrow or Tuesday. We potted a few cuttings, basil and pencil plant, that had rooted in water on the kitchen sill. Rearranged a bunch of pots on the front patio and took pictures to send to Ms. Fatma's son. About 2 PM I figured I'd had enough and poured myself a toddy. Weather both days has been exceptional--65 in the early AM, warming to about 81-82 by 2 PM.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10