Re: unseasonable cold front

Well the flowers on the Yoshino Cherry and the Messell Magnolia are history. But the Newport Flowery Plum is just budding now and I do have the Redbuds and Dogwoods to look forward to. We are past the worst and the paper today says the temps will rise from here on in, albeit a very slow climb. This is about the crummiest April I can remember. But there's always something to look forward to in my garden. Yes, the early dafs are broken, but that's why I think everyone should plant some Baby Moons. They are my favorite narcissus for their height, color multitudinousness, skinnyness of leaves, and especially because they are late bloomers - they are among the last narcissi to bloom.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2007 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] unseasonable cold front

When I uncovered my plants at 7:30 this morning I was just sick. The iris and the peoniy buds appeared to be frozen solid, and the valerian looked transparent. They seemed perfectly normal, however, when I got home at 8:30 tonight. Of course, it was a little dark so I could be wrong. My hydrangeas, though, seem to have suffered much as Daryl's have. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the final results will be after tomorrow night.
zone 7
West TN