We're being engulfed in purple now. Last week is was the gold trees [Tabebuia chrysotricha]--dense clouds of bright yellow flowers atop gnarly distorted trunks dotting the landscape, one of our first sure signs of spring. Now they are mostly gone. Now it's purple--jacarandas [J. mimosifolia] and queen's wreath [Petrea volubilis], but especially the jacarandas--huge, billowing clouds of purple. [Seems to me Alan Paton's "Cry, the Beloved Country" opens with something like "Loveliest of trees, the jacaranda now." Maybe not. But it's true nevertheless. Gorgeous.]

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10