Re: Could have been worse

Good grief. You've reminded me of why I've had no interest in riding horses for the last 60 years. May you recover quickly--your garden needs you.

On Apr 23, 2007, at 7:29 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

Not a lot of gardening got done over the weekend. Sunday was forecasted to be windy & drizzly, so husband and I took the horses out for what was supposed to be a nice ride Saturday morning. About 15 minutes into it, I suggested to horse that we might try a nice canter. He took off at a dead run, straight for a huge juniper, and I fell off. At speed. It's a damn good thing I wear a helmet. Much drama ensued but I eventually managed to walk back to the trailer and I've been on the couch pretty much since, with a visit to the dr this morning - I didn't break anything (sigh of relief). Pretty much everything
related to my butt hurts, my sunglasses had a contest with my nose (the
glasses won), I have a big lump on my forehead despite the helmet, and one hand is black & blue. It was almost entirely my fault and I've learned a
lesson - that could have been so much worse.
On the plus side, my husband went out and bought a helmet for himself!
So anyway, that took care of Saturday. Sunday turned nasty just as forecast, but I did manage to totter out to the greenhouse and transplant a few more peppers into bigger pots. I haven't looked at the veggie garden since Thursday after work! It's probably safe to replant the tomatoes that got frosted, but I won't put the peppers out until first week in May I think. Husband caught another ground squirrel and has seen a rabbit lurking inside the veggie garden under the rosemary bush. My green beans need replanting, I have no idea what's going on underneath the cover for the peas or the soybeans, the onions look fine. My roses are looking pretty nice and I've made my first batch of rose "tea", to make jelly with later. I think I could manage to do some deadheading out there tomorrow; I'm not going to try going into work for another day.

Cyndi

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W