Re: Camellias and tea

Yes-tea comes from Camellia sinensis. They originate from China and the first tea was made in the 6th century bc. I know this because I'm writing my last paper on propagating camellia japonica and sasanqua. Been researching their history.

Jim-they grow quite well in the Pacific northwest as far as I can tell. I'm amassing quite a collection of japonica and sasanqua as they are two of my most favorite plants in the world. There's a tea farm right outside of Charleston that I'd like to visit someday-just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm almost done with my paper if anyone wants to read it when it's done. There many great books out there on all species of Camellia for those who want their own tea.

To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 5:49 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Summertime...

and the livin' is easy. Maybe. But whatever. It seems to have suddenly arrived, easy or not. It's been in the low 80s for a week or so and the forecast is for it to remain so for the foreseeable future. Lots of stuff is blooming, but there always is here--orchids, begonias, petrea, jatropha, on and on.

I just saw an interview with the guy that established the Honest T company. It raised a question for me--since tea is the dried leaf of a camellia species, I wonder if I'll be able to grow one in Oregon. I tried here a couple of times and couldn't, too warm. Might be fun to really do it.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10