OT- Painting

Ok, who is a painter here?? Anyone?
  I got this idea to paint the ceiling one color, certain walls
 another, and the balance of the walls yet another color in my front
 room/dinning room which are basically all one.
  Someone should have slapped me when I decided to do this!  Seems
 neither of us are painters when it comes to this.  DH tried first to free
 hand the edge... that didn't work.  I tried taping and using an edger.
  Jury still out on that till I take the tape off, but chances are that
 didn't work either.  Part of the problem (besides the inability to do
 this) is that the walls are not square!
  If you follow the crease of the ceiling wall, it isn't straight.  So
 is better to leave an edge down the wall or on the ceiling? But then,
 thinking a straight line with uneven crease will probably not look good
  And those edgers.... geesh, left a ridge that neither of us noticed
 till it was too late... so tomorrow, I am going to sand it off, try
 painting again....as it all needs a second coat anyways....