Re: Wooly Aphids

I'm gearing up for that-the shoulder thing. My new yard is a WRECK. It's got running bamboo in which has got to GO, and English ivy which is trying to take over an oak in the back plus numerous other issues with over grown plants, including a Mimosa. I'm so looking forward to "fixing" all of this. I can't wait to get my hands on it! I close at 9:30 am Wednesday morning.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa G." <macycat3@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 12:53 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Wooly Aphids

Did a bunch of pruning on this front ash tree and the bradford pears on the side of my house too. I noted on some of the ash branches that has aphids, they they also had ladybug nymphs as well (Yeah! love those ladybugs). So, hopefully the critters will take care of the nasties before they overtake my garden! On the downside, I seem to have thoroughly irritated my right shoulder using the chainsaw....grumble, grumble- getting older sucks!

Theresa

Andrea Hodges wrote:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/e453woollyaphid.html

Theresa-from reading this it sounds as if although it looks terrible, it won't damage the tree enough to really hurt it. I'd get the lady bugs, lace wings, etc and hope that helps. They can be treated by a reputable landscape company if you want to go that far.