RE: Deleting my facebook account
  • Subject: RE: Deleting my facebook account
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 412 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:05:55 -0700

I like FB for the most part - it is interesting to find old friends, and
it's great for coordinating all our horsey activities. It's sort of boggling
though, you think you know someone - maybe worked or done stuff with them in
the past - and you see these really bizarre political rants or beliefs.
Some people are awfully gullible. And my biggest gripe, there's no detail to
Which gives me a perfect segue to detail what's going on in my garden. :-)
We had practically no rain this winter. Less than 3 inches I'm sure. No
grass, no wildflowers, no tumbleweeds even, no nothing. And it hasn't been
cold since early March although extremely windy so the dirt blowing around
has been awful. I planted my tomatoes outside a week ago - just in time for
the last cold snap, must have been below 40 because a bunch of the tomatoes
withered up. Oh well, they're not completely gone and will resprout.  I use
large tomato cages and slip one of those wall o'water things over the cage
like a sleeve, but I find it's too annoying to actually fill them with
water. And this year I had no straw for mulch either since we are without
sheep. I lost one tomato completely, I didn't have enough sleeves, figured
it would be okay. Nope, some critter ate most of it the first night. Never
had anything bother the tomatoes before but since there's no vegetation they
are hovering outside the veggie garden like vampires.  I usually cover
vulnerable seeds with row cover and this year when I took it off, it sure
looked like something under there had been gnawing on stuff.  Still can't
figure that out. So I knew critters were still going to be an issue and
wrapped chicken wire around the individual beds too. Rabbits went under it.
Then I got mad and you should see the place, there's so much wire around
everything it looks like a concentration camp. Which is working, but
yesterday it was in the 80s already, I'm thinking I'm not going to get any
peas or regrow the lettuce before the heat really sets in. Next year I'm
going to have to do something different.
In the front yard there's grass so the depredation has not been as bad.
Still, a bunch of blue fescue grasses I planted got chewed, and all the
daylilies were gnawed down to nubs too. But those have recovered. The roses
are almost at full bloom - a month early - the lavender and iris are
blooming, it looks pretty nice at the moment.
Irrigation is making me annoyed this year. I used to use that  leaky hose in
the vegetable garden but it's so expensive now and with our hard water we
had to replace it every year. Last year I made mini-sprinkler systems for
the tomatoes (time-consuming to make but worked great, I'm doing that from
now on) and bought drip-tape for the beans etc. I did not realize how little
water that stuff puts out, it needs to run for almost 1.5 hours to get as
much water as the leaky hose in 20 minutes. My timers only go to 99 minutes.
And I'm not happy with the connectors. I reused some of it this year just
for cost savings but next year I have to redesign the whole thing again. DH
has been repairing sprinklers every weekend for at least two months now,
cracked PVC, valves, you name it.
Tonight I'm going to take the row cover off the beans and see if they
actually sprouted. I have it secured so well against the critters I haven't
been able to look. So I see plants under there...but it might just be weeds.

Hope none of you are still getting snowed on. DH was in Minnesota last
weekend and said it was snowing where he was and there was still 3 feet on
the ground. I was outside in the lawn chair with a glass of iced tea. With
all the griping about the heat and no rain, it was still better than snow.