rot, age, or what?

Ceris,
was it you who said you had Campanula 'Constellation'?  If so, how is it
doing?  This would be mine's 3rd year and it was doing ok but not flowering and
now it has just disappeared.  It looks as though it has rotted away.  I had it
in part sun on a mounded area so I wouldn't think it got too wet.  Any ideas?

I also lost a Cushion spurge, Euphorbia polychroma. Lost all its leaves, down
to bare red stems.  I went to cut it back and the base appeared to be rotted -
chunks of the crown came out.  However, this is an older plant and I don't see
any damage to its offspring.  Could this one have died of old age?

Kitty