From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 6:17 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Achillea question

  I have heard Tomy Avent say he never gives up on a plant until he has
killed it three times.  Well, I've killed one three times now, and I want to
know
why before I give up on it.  Why can't I grow Achillea tomentosa 'King
Edward'?
 I don't have any trouble with other Achilleas - I have 'Moonshine' and one
of the pink ones which have done pretty well for years.  I have tried three
times to grow the dwarf 'King Edward' - three different sites.  This year I
put
it in a low, wide planter with Alyssum and the little blue Lobelia, thinking
it
would be a pretty combination, and with special soil and watering might just

thrive.  Wrong!  It just disappeared.  What am I doing wrong?  I tried it
first as edging of a sunny border - rather sandy soil.  Then I tried it in a

shadier spot.  Now  this planter, which I would have thought anything would
like,
but no.  I would really like to grow this plant.  Any suggestions?  Should I

try again next year or just forget it?
Auralie             NY, Z5