From:  [mailto: mlrasmus@rockwellcollins.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:30:13 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] lurking

I haven't had all the rain that Donna and others have gotten, but
we're<br>still cleaning up from the tornado that cruised through Cedar
Rapids<br>recently. With the exception of a few small limbs, my gardens
came out<br>relatively unscathed. LOTS of sticks to pick up, and they
seem to keep<br>falling.<br>The Stargazer oriental lilies are done -
nice long season this year.<br>Ornamental grasses are beginning to shoot
up - Karl Foerster and a<br>Miscanthus "Graziella." And of course the
tried and true hybrid tiger<br>lilies that have naturalized in several
spots in my yard are now at their<br>peak. (Bulblets, anyone?)<br>The
daylillies are almost done. I can't do justice to them with names,
as<br>they were all acquired when the son of a friend of mine moved into
a house<br>that had a beautiful garden but he wanted GRASS! We spend
most of a spring<br>a few years ago saving all these beautiful specimens
(liatris, primrose,<br>daylillies, feverfew, rudbeckia) and
incorporating them in our gardens.<br>The echinacea purpurea bed has
expanded once again this year, but as others<br>have noted, they're not
very tall. My iris finally got divided and put<br>back in the ground
after flowering earlier this year - what a spectacular<br>sight! I'd
gotten them from Hornbakers Nursery in Princeton, Illinois.-<br>what a
fantastic place! Check out their website if you're interested
in<br>hosta, iris, or grasses.<br>

have caterpillars eating my baptisia australis - they are about 1
1/2<br>inches long with yellow, orange, and black on a skinny white
body. Anyone<br>know what they might be? I decided there weren't too
many and I have<br>enough plants to share. They don't seem to be eating
anything else in the<br>yard.<br>I rescued quite a quantity of different
kinds of hosta last year from<br>various friends who wanted my help
dividing theirs. Most are in bloom now.<br>Someday I need to plant what
I want, rather than taking in all these<br>orphans. On the other hand,
I've sure learne

d a lot at a low cost. Just<br>hard to make markers for them when you
don't have a clue what cultivar they<br>are! I have a new appreciation
for why it is important to know the names<br>of our plants from this
list.<br>So that's my garden going into August. I still have a clematis
that will<br>bloom later this year, and the nekid ladies will surprise
me at some point.<br>Other than that and the grasses, I'm about bloomed

Express Yourself - Share Your Mood in Emails!
Visit www.SmileyCentral.com - the happiest place on the Web.