Heuchera Division

At Suite 101, Marge wrote:
"Propagation is by seed or division in early spring (preferably) or fall (in
warmer climates) and - so I've read - leaf cuttings...Leaf cuttings, taken in
late fall, consist of the entire leaf plus a short segment of the petiole (leaf
stalk). I haven't tried this method, but it sounds interesting."

Marge - have you tried the leaf cuttings yet?

I've experienced the same problem others have had of some Heuceras pushing
their crowns up.  I recently read that they should be dug and reset every few
years.  But I wondered about dividing them; didn't seem to be easily done.  At
an OSU site I read, "division of plant crowns should occur once every three
years, with the woody central portions discarded and the younger peripheral
shoots replanted with their crowns well-covered in soil and mulch".  But
sitting here at my desk, I don't recall periferal portions.  Perhaps I'm just
overlooking the obvious.  Would it be possible to just slice through the crown
so each section (that might have a new shoot) also gets a part of the roots to
go with it?  Hmmmm, and then there's leaf cuttings.......anyone tried that?

Kitty