From: Theresa- yahoo [mailto: tchessie@yahoo.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:31:22 -0700
Subject: RE: [CHAT]  now chemical contaminants

Good grief that is scary. I also recently learned that the FDA does not
use<br>the EPA's guidelines for various substance when they determine if
foods are<br>safe to eat. So, for example, the EPA dictates a specific
level of PCBs<br>that can be in wild Salmon in order for it to be
sold/ingested. However,<br>the FDA permits levels many times higher in
farmed Salmon. Does this make<br>any sense?? Apparently the food pellets
fed to farmed salmon have a high<br>PCB level in them. Great! I can eat
wild Salmon (at least until there are<br>none anymore), but what about
the waterways the farm-raised ones are in, and<br>the poor people who
wonder how many other things we eat have these different
also the stuff from drycleaning? or am I thinking<br>of something
owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On<br>Behalf
Of Pamela J. Evans<br>Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 3:07 PM<br>To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] butterflies, etc now chemical
posted!<br><br>---------- Original Message
----------------------------------<br>From: "Melody"
<mhobertm@excite.com><br>Reply-To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Date: Wed, 13
Aug 2003 05:43:15 -0400 (EDT)<br><br>>Nora: I agree with you that there
are some very scary things going on<br>>out there...in the past week the
EPA disclosed in a public town meeting<br>>with our little bitty tiny
town that our groundwater supply is<br>>contaminated with perchlorates
(a by-product of rocket fuel and<br>>fertilizer production) and that it
is not safe for anyone in town to<br>>ingest it without further
testing...and since we are all on private<br>>wells or sandpoints (more
shallow form of well) as opposed to a<br>>municipal water service, this
testing could take a while. No real<br>>answers forthcoming about ini

tial source of the contamination or how<br>>soon we can proceed to just
cleaning it up (or where the funding for<br>>such an massive undertaking
is going to come from)...it's been a very<br>>frustrating
beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."<br>>--Albert
Einstein<br>><br>> --- On Sun 08/10, Ray & Nora Edwards <
raynora.edwards@worldnet.att.net ><br>wrote:<br>>From: Ray & Nora
Edwards [mailto: raynora.edwards@worldnet.att.net]<br>>To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>>Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:36:54
check that one out - thanks Gene. First I have to
get<br>>over<br>reading about all the chemical dumping in eastern WA.
that was<br>>supposed to<br>be good for the soil. There are some scary
-----<br>From: "Gene Bush"<br>><genebush@otherside.com><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Saturday,<br>>August 09, 2003 4:35
to be entertained and have your blood<br>>chilled, read "Oryx and<br>>
Crake" by Margaret Atwood of The Handmaid's<br>>Tale fame. GE taken to
llc<br>>
Do you live near crop areas? I f so<br>>,I would put my money on
genetic<br>> > engineered crops. Things like<br>>B.T. in corn crops will
a watch dog report in OG recently that referred to<br>>a report
from<br>a<br>> > former FDA official who said that they are
ill<br>>prepared to monitor<br>> > Monsanto's GE crops. Currently they
pharmaceuticals.<br>>Corn spliced with pig vaccine strayed

.
For the lapse they were fined $250,000 then<br>> ><br>>they were given
3.5 Million interest free from the federal government<br>>.<br>>
That<br>> > should teach them! We should all be worried
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with
the<br>><br>>message text
this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the<br>message<br>>text
UNSUBSCRIBE