Re: Daylilies and seeds...

Bonnie, in my only foray into growing daylilies from seed, I just
took a seedpod and stuck some of the seeds in extremely sandy soil at
the edge of the patio.  Lo!  some germinated the next spring and
eventually formed quite a large clump of a sort of interesting
recurved flower form tho' the color never excited me - two tone
orange (think the parent was 'Catherine Woodbury'), but since it was
"my baby" I kept it.  It eventually self seeded into the bed behind
it and that plant produced flowers that have wine red sections - much
better flower than the mother:-)

Interestingly enough, that first seedling flowers much later than
it's parent and any of my other daylilies...its child flowers earlier
than it does.

So, tell your friend they aren't all that hard to germinate but who
knows what she'll get - it sure won't look like Stella:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan <wmorgan972@ameritech.net>
> A co-worker came to me Friday (I'm known as the flower lady now)
and asked