Re: furry dogs/acclimation

In a message dated 8/16/2003 11:02:26 PM Central Standard Time,
gardenchat-owner@hort.net writes:

> I'm surprised they can handle the heat, but chows aren't Arctic bred sled
> dogs either.  You must have a great deal of shade, yes??

That's very true, but same applicable principle with the fur, we were told.
The same fur that acts as an insulation to the cold, works the same for the
heat.  We found this hard to believe, but several Vets, and other dog experts
have verified this.

Acclimation has a lot to do with how one weathers the temperature changes
also.....be it animal or human.  One's blood thins in warmer climates, and
thickens in colder climates.  I'm no medical expert by any means, but find this to
be true.  People or animals that are acclimated to warmer climates can tolerate
it more due to their body being acclimated to these temps.  Even someone (dog
or human) that is in the A/C constantly, never much outside, doesn't tolerate
the heat as much as someone that is in it most of the day.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast