Re: weather

In a message dated 08/31/2003 10:29:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gardenqueen@gbronline.com writes:

> hummers and other birds starting to
> migrate early and the chipmunks seem to be going into pre-winter mode
> already. I told him to keep an eye on those animals - they may be
> telling you that a big bad winter is fixin' to set in. Anyone else in
> the Northeast been noticing stuff like this?

My hummers are still around and the chipmonks are very active - one was on
the tube feeder eating sunflower seeds yesterday - he had climbed down from the
roof to where it hangs below the eaves of the garage and just fitted nicely in
it's little round dish.  However, I have been predicting an early, cold
winter - this has been a most peculiar summer.  We've had very little real heat -
only two or three days in the low 90s, a quite a few that didn't even reach 80.
 It was 52 degrees this morning, and hasn't been above 71 all day - most
unusual Labor Day weather - it is often one of the hottest weekends of the summer.
 Although the sky has been overcast and the humidity very high, very little
rain has fallen and we are really dry.  The weather report says we had only 2.5
inches of rain in August.  I haven't carried water this year, but things have
been on the dry side since May or June. At least it hasn't been the drought
we had for the two previous years.  I guess only time will tell, but I'm about
ready to give up on this year.