seedling mulch

Last spring I started some Liriope seeds and later moved them up to a 25
cell pack of 2 inch cells.  They're doing just fine in full sun, watered as
needed.  But tonight I checked, and at a glance, the surface was very dark,
as if it had ample moisture.  This didn't seem right as it's been quite hot.
Each cell has developed a  dark 1/8 to 1/4 inch crust.  I forked up each
cell and watered.  So tell me, should I be mulching the top of this flat of
cells?  If so, with what?

Kitty