Re: seedling mulch

Kitty wrote:
Last spring I started some Liriope seeds and later moved them up to a 25
cell pack of 2 inch cells.  They're doing just fine in full sun, watered as
needed.  But tonight I checked, and at a glance, the surface was very dark,
as if it had ample moisture.  This didn't seem right as it's been quite hot.
Each cell has developed a  dark 1/8 to 1/4 inch crust.  I forked up each
cell and watered.  So tell me, should I be mulching the top of this flat of
cells?  If so, with what?
Three questions: what was the potting mix you used; did you fertilize
the cells; what did the crust look like it was composed of (to end a
sentence with a preposition :-() ? If it might be dried algae, then you
need to water with an algaecide maybe ? Or perhaps the mix, if fertilized,
encrusted the surface with dried fertilizer salts ? Sounds like you need to
dump the seedlings out and repot ?
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W