Re: Re: Rayna's new house & euonymus

Let me recommend a couple of manuals on plant propagation, Jesse.

"Plant Propagation," Alan Toogood, editor. AHS. $34.95 [This is the AHS reprint of the RHS manual. Very user friendly, but I find it somewhat annoying to use if I'm looking for a specific plant. Information on propagating techniques--how to do cuttings, seeds, grafts, layerings--is very good, however.

"Plant Propagation," H.T. Hartmann and D.E. Kester. Prentice-Hall. Text book [authors were at UC Davis when it was published]; don't know what it costs. Less easy to use regarding techniques, although a lot better if you want to know why auxins encourage root development. Also better about linking specific plants to specific techniques [think of it as "how the commercial nurseries do it" book]. Not sure it covers as many plants as RHS-AHS does because it covers them by structure [hardwood, softwood, etc] and AHS seems to cover them in a scattershot way.

Anyway, you can probably find both of them used or remaindered at Abe's Books.

I used to have another book, probably also titled "Plant Propagation" by some person named Kerns [I think]. It was, essentially, the text book that was replaced by Hartmann and Kester. Also a good book; gave it to my number one son when he wanted to start propagating plants.