Re: Re: Rayna's new house & euonymus

Wonderful...thanks Jim. I'll start looking for those. I'm getting into
the propagating for two reasons: it's cool, and...I'm cheap. I have a
houseful of kids. I'm not going to go out there and spend a small
fortune on plants that I can propagate from my yard. And it's just COOL
to be able to create another plant....sounds corny, but I feel like
"one" with the universe when I figure out this stuff. It's like that
scene in Castaway where Tom Hanks is going on and on about how HE
created FIRE. WOO HOO.

james singer <jsinger@igc.org> wrote:
Let me recommend a couple of manuals on plant propagation, Jesse.

"Plant Propagation," Alan Toogood, editor. AHS. $34.95 [This is the AHS
reprint of the RHS manual. Very user friendly, but I find it somewhat
annoying to use if I'm looking for a specific plant. Information on
propagating techniques--how to do cuttings, seeds, grafts,
layerings--is very good, however.

"Plant Propagation," H.T. Hartmann and D.E. Kester. Prentice-Hall. Text
book [authors were at UC Davis when it was published]; don't know what
it costs. Less easy to use regarding techniques, although a lot better
if you want to know why auxins encourage root development. Also better
about linking specific plants to specific techniques [think of it as
"how the commercial nurseries do it" book]. Not sure it covers as many
plants as RHS-AHS does because it covers them by structure [hardwood,
softwood, etc] and AHS seems to cover them in a scattershot way.

Anyway, you can probably find both of them used or remaindered at Abe's

I used to have another book, probably also titled "Plant Propagation"
by some person named Kerns [I think]. It was, essentially, the text
book that was replaced by Hartmann and Kester. Also a good book; gave
it to my number one son when he wanted to start propagating plants.