From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 5:16 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Scavenger hunt

Thanks, Kitty, that was great stuff--and it jogged me into doing
several "advanced" searches [slow day at work today]. I've four big
cuttings of the Whortleberry and, since they grow to small tree size,
I'm considering building a raised bed for them. Thus, medium is a big
question, and one of the things I found was not only directions for
building a raised bed for cactus, but also a recipe for the medium.

What made my day, however, was the discovery that Julia Morton had a
chapter in her warm climate fruit book on Hylocereus undatus, Dragon
fruit, and that Purdue had posted the chapter.

For those interested in indigenous new world food crops, Purdue
University's "NewCrops" page is a must. I think it also have links to
the National Academy of Sciences classic study, Food Sources of the
Incas [I hope that's the title; it's available in PDF].

On Thursday, August 5, 2004, at 07:51 PM, Kitty wrote:

> Comon names are  BLUE CANDLE, GARAMBULLA, WHORTLEBERRY CACTUS, Bilberry
> Cactus, Blue Flame, Padre Nuestro, Organ pipe cactus, Blue Myrtle,
> Dinosaur
> Back Plant, Blueberry Cactus
> Syn: Cereus geometrizans
>
> You've probably already visited these sites, but...

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Zone 10a