RE: Garden Projects

Long Island, NY
Zone 7

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Marge Talt
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2004 12:38 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Garden Projects

> From: Chris@widom-assoc.com
> The ivy is  hedera helix.  I've just found a website that deals
with its
> removal, but any other ideas would be appreciated!

Hedera helix needs constant clipping to keep it in bounds.  I have to clip
mine at least 3 times a growing season and sometimes more.

If you really want to remove it, digging out the roots is the best bet.  If
you keep it cut back or defoliated, it will die, but you
need to be vigilant for a season or two.

Depending on the extent of what you want to remove and where it is, you can
cut it back to the ground; pull out what comes easily and then cover the
area with black plastic and mulch - seal the edges so no light gets
in...ought to do it in in a season.  It's not immortal, but it does grow
fast and old, established plants have deep roots.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade