Re: storms

Jim, I weathered (pun intended) several hurricanes in my Florida youth.  In
those days we
didn't have warning systems like today, and nobody told us to evacuate.  I
remember one
in Pensacola about 1950 that blew pretty hard and messed things up a bit -
the biggest
problem was being without power.  And another a few years earlier than that
when a
whole row of houses at Jacksonville Beach just toppled over on their fronts
because
the sand had been washed out in front of them.  But mainly people just did
what you
are doing - picked up anything loose like planters and outdoor furniture.  I
remember
that at Pensacola Air Station where I worked the bus-stop shelters all had
large cement
blocks at each end, with a big metal hook set in each block.  When a big blow
was
threatened, they had cables like huge bungee cords that looped over the tops
of the
shelters and attached to the hooks.  But the big difference between now and
then is
the sheer number of people involved, the places they have built, and the sort
of buildings
they have put up.  The potential for damage is much greater than 50 years
ago, but
I wonder if the number of traffic accidents caused by a panicky evacuation
could be
less than the storm damage. It sounds to me as if you have things pretty well
under control.  Hang in there!
Auralie

In a message dated 08/13/2004 10:42:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,