Weeds, grass, and the like

Spent a large part of the weekend potting up seedlings and cuttings--and applying RoundUp to various plants that all this wet weather has encouraged. Grass is way to wet to cut and by next weekend it will likely be 2 feet tall. Two real pleasures, however. First, one of the cactus cuttings I potted in the last couple of weeks is blooming. A small yellow flower on one of the whortleberries, which means I'm going to taste that fruit before long [it's supposed to be very good, but we're all adults here and know that enthusiasts tend to lie]. Second, when I was heading out with the weedeater this morning to rescue the Buddha's hand citron from the weeds, I had to nearly wade through a stand of Mexican petunias [Ruellia brittoniana or something like that] and just as I approached it, I saw a bumblebee enter one of the Ruellia's flowers and completely disappear down the flower's throat. Wish I'd had my camera rather than my weedeater. With pollinators like that, it's no wonder these things seed themselves around.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Zone 10a