From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:09:57 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Ia St Fair

Melody,<br>I found these plants of interest specifically to
plexippus)<br>Favorite Flowers: Milkweed, lantana, lilac,<br> cosmos,
goldenrod and zinnia<br>Caterpillar Plants: Milkweed<br>and someone
mentioned Swan Plant - Gomphocarpus physocarpus<br><br>Then I found:
"Monarch butterflies, Danaus plexippus, only lay their eggs
on<br>Milkweed plants (Asclepias spp. and, occasionally, various genera
of Viny<br>Milkweeds.) "<br>However, they didn't mention what the other
two genera were. I'm guessing<br>one is the previously mentioned
Gomphocarpus.<br>So I then went
to:<br>http://www.milkweedfarm.com/<br>and they carry all sorts of
milkweeds:<br>

    http://www.milkweedfarm.com/catalog.asp<br>including:<br>Calotropis

procera, Rubberbush<br>Cynanchum laeve, Sand Vine
Message ----- <br>From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 12:06
after I sent the message that I had two pics. of<br>> my little monarch
catepillar in there. It is the only one I've found in<br>> my garden so
far and I had to move it from it's original location to a<br>> more
guarded place where the kids wouldn't accidentally trample it.<br>>
Since then, I've seen a couple more monarch butterflies in my yard
daily<br>> so I'm hoping more catepillars won't be far behind. Unlike
past years<br>> when we would have been seeing dozens of them by now,
I'm lucky if on a<br>> good day I see two or three. I fear this species
is having a really<br>> difficult time recovering from that large kill a
few years back. I'm<br>> trying to let as much milkweed as possible grow
in the gardens but the<br>> stuff tends to get real messy as the summer
progresses and they get so<br>> tall they fall all over the place...but
I'm trying.

Didn't I see someone<br>> on this list once posted other plants
necessary for monarch procreation?<br>> Bronze fennel and asters seem to
Melody, IA (Z 5/4)<br>><br>> "The most beautiful thing we can experience
Kitty < kmrsy@comcast.net > wrote:<br>> From: Kitty [mailto:
kmrsy@comcast.net]<br>> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Date: Tue, 17 Aug
2004 09:53:50 -0500<br>> Subject: Re: [CHAT] Ia St Fair<br>>
http://www.excite.com<br>> The most personalized portal on the
Web!<br>><br>>

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com