Re: Ia St Fair

Well, gang, I have been trying to get to post about this since the
thread started; just too crazed around here.

Once upon a time, oh, probably at least 55 years ago, I went to the
IA state fair; think it was held in Cedar Rapids for some reason.  A
VERY memorable occasion even then.  My main memory was not enormous
hogs - Lordy is HM huge! - but the percheron horses (I was pretty
horse crazy in those day).  Do they still have any of the huge
working breeds on show at the fair any more?

Loved the photo of you 3 - always a treat to put a face on a name;-)
Boy, does this discussion bring back memories.  I think that the fair
I attended was the highlight of my life at the time - elements have
stayed in my memory all these years.

My mother's people are Iowans; still have two cousins left - rest of
the family have gone on to the happy hunting grounds but I can
remember the old family picnics at Backbone State Park back in the
late 40s and early 50s, including my great grandmother who was then
in her 90s...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Melody <mhobertm@excite.com>
> I must say Ceres and Mardi are two of the most gracious women you'd
> like to meet...it was so much fun meeting them both! Here is the
link to
> the few pictures I took...I was so busy looking at everything that
> plain forgot to use the camera most of the time.
> http://photos.yahoo.com/mhobertm
> And the biggest boar was huge!! Holy Macaroni weighed in at 1187
> pounds!! That's alot of bacon! Not really...these are incredibly
> valuable animals not ever destined for the slaughterhouse.
> I wish all of you could experience the Iowa State Fair...it is so
totally awesome!