RE: Jesse's lavender

Wow...great information Bonnie.  Thanks!  I'm printing this one out and putting it in my herbal notebook for future reference.

Bonnie Holmes <holmesbm@usit.net> wrote:
This past weekend I attended the annual Smoky Mountain Herbal Society herb
fair. The fair included several demonstrations, educational programs, a
wonderful lunch, and vendors. Each year, the herb fair focuses on the herb
of the year. This year was garlic so information focused on garlic and
ramps. A wonderful herbal lunch was also available...four salads, three
choices of herbal dressing, and pineapple upside down cake with garlic
instead of the cherries...delicious.

Growing Mediterranean Herbs was another great program. The presenter grew
herbs for a living. She used well-drained beds with something called
"crusher run", fines or "dirty soil" that she gets free from limestone
quarries. The material is very alkaline with trace minerals that the
Mediterranean herbs love. The fines are also used for their mulch as the
material also reflects the light and heat. Gardeners can also use a
combination of chicken grit and lime for similar effect.

For fertilizer she suggested comfrey tea: fill a 5 gallon container with
comfrey leaves (I guess I will need to set up a bed to grow these) and add
water; let set for 3 weeks; when the smell is gone; water herbs with the

When planting, dig hole and put in water and sit the potted plant to be
planted separately in water for 1 hour. Plant and don't water for three
days. The plant may stress somewhat but it will be stronger once the roots
are established.

I also joined the Society. Some of the first plants I added to the yard
were herbs and I have always loved to cook with them and use them for
arrangement so I thought I would enjoy this group.

The presenter suggested growing both types of lavender if you are into
using them for different purposes. For example, grow Gross or Provence
lavender for scent and Hidcote and Munstead for color and combine them to
give color and scent in arrangements or wreathes.

Bonnie ETN Zone 7