Re: Pictures

Thanks for the flower show pictures, Chris.  It was clearly a very successful
Your staging for the design classes was really attractive and creative.  The
on a garden gate was nice.  It must be nice to have such props - and a place
store them.  That's one of the biggest problems we have.  I really liked the
"gardens" but I am curious as to how they were scheduled.  Obviously they were
not design classes.  I guess they were "special exhibits."
  Congratulations on your big awards.  The horticulture seemed quite
I couldn't help noticing that Awards of Merit in both Perennials and Annuals
to the "any other" class.  We avoid the "any other" by breaking those Sections
down by form.  (Class 1. Flat, round or sculptural form; Class 2. Spike form;
I know this confuses some people who think they have to list all the
different flowers
by name and then add any other which leads to a catchall class.  Of course,
way of listing by form means a lot more work for the classification and
people, but we have found it really works out to be a better-looking display.
 I guess
it depends on your club - you need to have a couple of competent people to
get the
job done.
  I noticed that Kaye Aaronson was your mentor, and she seemed to be in the
background of numerous pictures.  Was this in the "flower show in a box" cate
I hardly think so, since you have such attractive staging props.
  A very nice show.  Thanks for letting me see it.
  I have just finished putting together two books of evidence for my club's
June show.
We are only 12 members but we put on a Standard Flower Show every year -
or really every other year, alternating with a Petite Standard Flower Show on
alternate years since you cannot apply for a National Award the year after you
have won that award.  We have missed the national awards a couple of times
because the District Awards Chairman messed up the procedure, but we haven't
failed to win a first place State award in the past nine or ten years.

  I'm not involved in the Second District show this fall - though I judged at
in the spring.  I have judged there numerous times in the past, but not for a
years.  I have judged designs at the Chrysanthemum show for quite a few
but I haven't been asked to do that this year either - I hear they are having
some sort
of controversy over their show this year.

In a message dated 08/26/2004 4:59:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,