From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 6:51 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Pictures

Thanks for the flower show pictures, Chris.  It was clearly a very
successful show.
Your staging for the design classes was really attractive and creative.  The
design on a garden gate was nice.  It must be nice to have such props - and
a place to store them.  That's one of the biggest problems we have.  I
really liked the various "gardens" but I am curious as to how they were
scheduled.  Obviously they were not design classes.  I guess they were
"special exhibits."
  Congratulations on your big awards.  The horticulture seemed quite
I couldn't help noticing that Awards of Merit in both Perennials and Annuals
went to the "any other" class.  We avoid the "any other" by breaking those
Sections down by form.  (Class 1. Flat, round or sculptural form; Class 2.
Spike form;
I know this confuses some people who think they have to list all the
different flowers by name and then add any other which leads to a catchall
class.  Of course, our way of listing by form means a lot more work for the
classification and placement people, but we have found it really works out
to be a better-looking display.
 I guess
it depends on your club - you need to have a couple of competent people to
get the job done.
  I noticed that Kaye Aaronson was your mentor, and she seemed to be in the
background of numerous pictures.  Was this in the "flower show in a box"
cate gory?
I hardly think so, since you have such attractive staging props.
  A very nice show.  Thanks for letting me see it.
  I have just finished putting together two books of evidence for my club's
June show.
We are only 12 members but we put on a Standard Flower Show every year - or
really every other year, alternating with a Petite Standard Flower Show on
alternate years since you cannot apply for a National Award the year after
you have won that award.  We have missed the national awards a couple of
times because the District Awards Chairman messed up the procedure, but we
haven't failed to win a first place State award in the past nine or ten

  I'm not involved in the Second District show this fall - though I judged
at Hofstra in the spring.  I have judged there numerous times in the past,
but not for a few years.  I have judged designs at the Chrysanthemum show
for quite a few years, but I haven't been asked to do that this year either
- I hear they are having some sort of controversy over their show this year.

In a message dated 08/26/2004 4:59:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,